Friday, October 11, 2013

Resting in His Grace

So it's been two weeks since our sweet baby girls were born. I'd be lying to you if I said that I didn't think they would be home already. I really thought we'd be in the NICU for a week and then home. I made the mistake of comparing our circumstances to those around us, and that has only resulted in disappointment and tears. I had heard stories of babies born smaller going home earlier, or babies born at or around the same gestational age (34 weeks) going home in a week or two, and well, I just assumed that we would too. And yet, here I am, two weeks post-partum, still sleeping 50 miles away from the newest loves of my life.

God has been MORE than gracious to me and has poured out his grace like never before. Every morning I wake up, I am energized and excited for what the day holds. But a day full of warring with the enemy, who insists on convincing me that God's promises are not real, leaves me a tired, weary mess each night. Thankfully, a quick phone call to a sweet NICU nurse each night to check on the girls gives me just enough energy to give Satan one last dismissal and allows me to rest peacefully at night.

This journey is far more challenging than I expected, and yet God gives me so much joy and hope in his plan. I'm tempted to be discouraged when I think about missing a lot of "firsts" with the girls, or when I think about the big kids not really even getting to understand that they have baby sisters. But when I draw back and look at the big picture, knowing fully that I do not understand it all, I am positive that I can rest in God's grace for each day, trusting that he knows, he's there, he's in this with us and he's not going to turn away.

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. -1 Corinthians 12:9

No comments: